Friday, May 7, 2010

The Siberian Husky Working Dog

So this morning, I read this article http://www.bakersfield.com/news/local/x735123902/SHERRY-DAVIS-Keeping-your-Husky-working-dog-busy and it prompted me to write an email to her.  I thought the article was very well written, but I felt compelled to write a response to her.  Here is the response I wrote!

Happy Friday from Shiloh, Shelby, and Their Mom!

I read your article, and can tell you have been having some issues with your husky.  It says you are a dog trainer, but I am sure you already know, huskies are very very special, and have to be treated differently then other dogs.

First thing I noticed was what you said about being at work all day, and the dog destroying things.  Do you crate train?  I have experience with two Siberian Huskies.  One is 8 years old, and one is 2.  I crate trained both of my girls.  It is not only safer for the dogs, it helps so they don't destroy your stuff.  When a dog tears something up when you are not around, they chance choking on parts they are chewing off, and getting hurt.  So crate training really is a safe way to keep the dog safe, and your items safe.

Shiloh would stayed in her crate every time we left the house until she was about 3 years old.  Then we would slowly let her have the run of the house for small amounts of time, and eventually she didn't need to be put in her crate anymore.  Shelby is only 2, so she still goes in hers when we leave.  My husband and I also both worth full time.  Both of my dogs LOVED their crate.  They even will go and just sleep in it when we are home.  We always leave the door open on them when we are home.  They need to understand this is a safe place for them

The escaping part.  There are a few more costly ways to fix this.  You can dig below your fence and put in blocks or rocks, so it's harder for the dog to dig under, or you can go higher on your fence so they can't jump.  We didn't want to do either of those things, so even though we have a fenced in yard, Shelby is not allowed off of her runner unless we are outside playing with her. My dogs are of course, indoor dogs, and they only really use the yard as a bathroom, and once in a while for playing.  Huskies are by nature, pack animals, and should never just be left alone outside.

Getting our 2nd husky was one of the best things we ever did.  Shiloh became a much more balanced dog when we got her a compatible playmate. So that is another thought for you.

Exercise can be hard when you are both working full time. We do like you said in your article, the hiking, backpacking, biking, and sledding with our girls.  Another thing you can do, is train your dog to use a treadmill.  It's a nice option to have if you do end up running out of time for taking your dog for a walk or a run.

Those are just my thoughts.  I loved your article!  I wish you would have added a picture of Koda!  You can check out our girls at http://www.GonetotheSnowDogs.com or on their Youtube channel at http://www.Youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs

WooOoo  WooOoo

Jessica (Shiloh and Shelby's Mom)

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I got to your other site! It's nice!! The video was great :)
    Good advise given. My Smokes loves his crate also and will sleep in it at night. During the day he sleeps under a desk when I leave. He is pretty calm with my other pets, he just talks a lot when we are home. Probably telling us what went on during the day!! LOL
    Have a good day!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete